Trying to lose weight without breaking a lot of sweat in the gym? Then do go through this post before you plan your next grocery list. Certain foods that come in packages fall into the processed and ultra-processed categories contain a lot of empty calories, saturated fat, sodium, sugar, with hardly any nutritional value. These processed foods that you pick frequently off the supermarket isles and add to the online grocery list, may be the reason behind weight gain and inability to shed weight. Even though such foods may come in small packages, they pack of a lot of empty calories and toxic ingredients such as transfat that are directly responsible for belly fat. Avoid saturated fat, sodium, added sugar that creep into your daily diet through these 11 packaged foods that are probably the reason behind your weight gain.
1. Potato Chips: Potato chips are not healthy at all, neither for weight loss, nor for general health. Even though “baked” chips may seem like a better option, they may have higher levels of a compound called “acrylamide” that can potentially cause nerve damage, increase the risk of cancer, among other health risks and create inflammation which is a major reason for weight gain. Instead, you can try these “12 Healthier Alternatives to Potato Chips.”
2. Instant Noodles: Lacking in fiber, nutrients, and high in calories, instant noodles can be comfort food for many, but it’s not good for weight loss at all.
3. Biscuits: Made from refined flour, sugar, sodium and other artificial ingredients, biscuits just have empty calories that lead to rapid weight gain.
4. Flavoured Yogurt: High in calories and high on sugar, flavoured yogurt is not a healthy food – regular and plain yogurt is!
5. White Bread: Refined flour and empty calories in white bread cause sharp insulin spike and the subsequent crash makes the body crave for more food in a short span, leading to pilling up of calories.
6. Salted Nuts: Though nuts are considered a healthy option, make sure you are not picking the high-sodium ones that causes water retention as well.
7. Son Papdi and other Sweets: They only have “sugar” in them – the number one reason why we all gain weight. Never pick packaged and boxed sweets if you are seriously thinking about weight loss.
8. Flavoured Oats: They have artificial flavours and ingredients added to enhance the taste of oats, and it would do a great deal to your weight loss journey to stay off them.
9. Microwavable Popcorn: Popcorns are no doubt a low-calorie snack unless you are making them out of microwavable readymade bags which are loaded with high-fat ingredients. Use corn kernels and make fresh popcorn at home, and save a lot of calories in the process.
10. Margarine: Made with vegetable oils, it is extremely high in calories, and there’s a huge misconception that replacing butter with margarine is a healthy choice because it has low fat content, but the truth is that margarine is made from vegetable oils, salt, and emulsifiers that can raise inflammation in the body, and lead to belly fat. Stick to plain butter please.
11. Cereals with High Sugar Content: Don’t eat sweet delights and processed food for breakfast, and that includes cereals with high sugar content, to avoid weight gain.
12 Healthier Alternatives to Potato Chips
15 Ways To Cut 100 Calories Without Even Noticing